Three from three through to Semi

Camberwell had three successful matches over the weekend, and thus will see the 2nds, 3rds & 4ths all playing in the Semi Finals this coming Saturday.

Hamish Burrill was the star of the weekend as he pulled off an all-round double for the 3rd XI down at Geelong. Paddy McKenna sent in the fourth placed Cats, and they duly set about making the most of the quality batting conditions. After seven overs, they were 0/40 and thoughts may have wandered to how they could get through the 90 overs in the fastest time. The introduction of Burrill helped put a stop on the scoring rate, and he took the first wicket in the seventeenth over with the score on 56.

He was accompanied by the skipper after Joe Doyle’s first spell of eleven overs, and the game turned from this point onwards. The two of them as a bowling partnership saw Geelong fall from 1/65 to 8/114; including a collapse of 5/5 as McKenna took a three wicket maiden. He ended up with 4/34 from nine overs, while Burrill took 5/25 from 16 overs as Geelong were bowled out for 120.

McKenna couldn’t follow up his bowling heroics with the bat; he was dismissed for a third ball duck after Riyaz Pathan was caught on the fine leg fence, which saw Camberwell reduced to 2/13 and the Cats with their tail up. Although Jacob Murphy also fell cheaply, it brought together Burrill with opener Nick Trapani and took full control of the game. Facing forty overs for the day, they put on 107 on by stumps on Saturday and had secured first innings points.

Geelong wanted a look at getting some early wickets Sunday to see if the chance for a reverse outright would open up. Instead Burrill and Trapani continued on their merry way, Burrill rounding out his super weekend with 101* from 147 balls. Geelong conceded at this stage, with Trapani 86* from 148 balls, the pair putting on 181* for the fourth wicket – a partnership record for the 3rd XI. This sees the 3rds taking on Dandenong next week at Shepley Reserve.

The 4th XI were playing fifth placed Monash Tigers at Watson Park and batted first after winning the toss. The game was set up by the innings of Alex Ross, who notched up his first hundred for the club against his former side. He scored 116 from 204 balls, dismissed with the score on 200 in the 67th over. Support had come via a series of 20s from Adi Narayana, Griffin McComb and Angus Brown.

Skipper Tom Donaldson combined with Angus Steele (46) to take the game forward, putting on 85 from the next 18 overs as we finished the first day at 5/285 from 85 overs. This left five overs to face on Sunday, upon which Donaldson took full toll – he moved from 36* to 72*, as Camberwell added 55 from the thirty balls available to finish 7/340 at the compulsory close.

After an early wicket, Monash set up their innings well as they reached 1/98. But the run rate was always going to be a big ask, especially so with the accuracy of Anton Ponnamperuma from one end who broke the key partnership. Young Eshaan Patel also showed off his continuing improvement, as he grabbed the key wicket of Mitch Perry on his way to 3/54 from 17 overs. Ponnamperuma took his second five wicket haul of the year, as the Magpies took 9/102 to bowl out the Tigers for exactly 200. Next week the 4th XI will be taking on St Kilda at Central Reserve for a spot in the grand final.

The 2nd XI also had a comprehensive victory against Footscray at Camberwell Sports Ground. After the early loss of Adit Pawha, Daniel Rawson and Ben Rowles set up the day with a partnership of 113 before Rowles (80) was dismissed in the shadows of the tea break. This platform allowed the batsmen to push hard in the last session, as we moved from 2/155 to 6/331 by stumps.

Daniel Rawson was unfortunately run out for 61, and captain Shane Mays – having burnt Rawson – turned his attention to smoking the Bulldogs attack, finishing with 70. Cameos came from Sam Newell (33), James Wiseman (28) and Shubham Bhargave (23*) as we faced one over on the Sunday, ending up at 6/337. This left Footscray with 92 overs to chase down the score, a difficult ask on a reasonably slow outfield.

The task became a lot more difficult after the opening spells from Mark Dwyer and Steve Singh. While it was the former who took the first three wickets, the latter bowled a nine over spell featuring eight maidens and constantly threatened, as the Bulldogs were reduced to 3/14. Chris Bridle struck twice after this, and with Footscray at 6/51 victory was virtually assured as the run rate required was climbing towards six an over.

There was some resistance from that point, with a seventh run partnership of 74 a key component of that. But eventually victory was secured by 166 runs with 23 overs remaining in the day, led by Mark Dwyer’s 4/18 from 13 overs. Singh took 1/13 from 15 overs, including 10 maidens, Bridle ended up with 3/28 and Jack McNamara chipped in with 2/43. Next week the 2nd XI are taking on Melbourne at Camberwell Sports Ground.

It was a great weekend for the Camberwell Magpies, with three teams now having the opportunity to make a Grand Final next week.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *