Sneaking two wins past the Tigers

Rain interrupted the afternoon on Saturday, but the 1st XI snuck the points having completed five overs in their chase, and in doing so were able to grab a vital four points in their season.

Playing out at Central Reserve, Monash Tigers won the toss and batted first, when Will Walker struck with the first ball of the innings with a trademark in-swinger. The Tigers quickly got their innings back on track, with Chalkley and Sartori attacking during the powerplay. Kevin Prior (0/18 from 3) and Dylan Hodge (2/26 from 4) provided some control in the middle overs while Matarazzo and Taylor provided the innings with some backbone, before Walker returned to claim some late wickets, finishing with 5/21 from his full allotment. The target was 141 from 20 overs, having looked like chasing a bit more after the powerplay.

The large storms were threatening, and after losing Chris Thewlis in the first over, Morgan Persson-Clark (25* from 14) got going and after five overs we were 1/49. The umpires decided that at this point, the rain was too much and we were ahead of the Duckworth Lewis equation at this time, and were fortunate enough to get the win.

Earlier, the 2nd XI snuck over the line by two runs. Monash bowled excellently early on, before Jake Marnie (34 from 25) took full toll of the fifth over, taking 19 from it as we ended the powerplay at 1/42. Daniel Rawson (49*) provided the anchor as Shubham Bhargave (23) and Jack McNamara (15*) also chipped in, as we finished with 5/136.

The powerplay didn’t go well, with some loose bowling and tough chances being spilt. Monash went at near ten an over throughout it, and the game looked strongly in their favour. The spin of Bhargave, Burrill and McNamara all went at less than six an over with the field out, and conceded only one boundary in this period. Steve Singh came back with three great overs at the end of the innings, finishing with 3/27, while Mark Dwyer (2/29) was the best bowler on show throughout the innings. He had 15 runs with play with in the last over, and while a couple of extras made the spectators nervous, we kept Monash at bay by two runs.

In the early game at Camberwell, the 4th XI saw Riyaz Pathan make his mark at the club, scoring 90 as we scored 3/142 from our 20 overs. He had some support from the returning Tom Evans who notched up 24 in his first game back at the club. This proved to be not nearly enough, as Monash reached the target for the loss of only two wickets and three overs to spare.

The following game was a washout – there was a rain interruption as we set 106 from 15 overs, but Monash never got a proper chance to reply. James Wiseman top scored in our innings with 39, and Luke Spence got 27, while Tom Vanderslik and Chris Bridle each took a wicket with their single over, as the game was abandoned at 2/11.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *